When You Realize You’ve become and Old Fart
I had an interesting weekend. I had someone from the younger generation (40’s) over to the house to visit this weekend. After a few conversations she initiated I realized I was no longer “hip” and had become the old fart.
Now some of you in the senior group might think this is funny because I guess at some point we all become the old farts. Being an “old fart” isn’t a bad thing, it just means we don’t agree with what the younger “hip” generation thinks is normal, okay, acceptable etc.
Socially I am supposed to accept all changes from the younger generation as okay. I am not supposed to question them, I am just supposed to agree and say they are right – but old farts like myself have no filters so we actually say what we think. That isn’t good – so I guess the rule of the blog is that you just don’t mess with old farts.
Here is a list of things we discussed. Normal or Not Normal? Uneducated or Educated. Right or Wrong. I am not going to place my opinion on this blog – so I will just list the subjects of the conversation and you decide for yourself. Writing a blog is dangerous territory and I could be flogged – dried and quartered for listing my opinion on these subjects. If you are an old fart you are welcome to comment if you dare to.
- Homeless people all have mental health problems therefore we should take care of them.
- I don’t get involved in politics. I just vote how my spouse tells me to.
- Politics are not important to me, I have enough going on in my life. Let other people do it.
- It is okay to take anti-depressants. It is like any other medicine, for example blood thinners or insulin. It doesn’t change a persons mental outlook. The medicine makes “them normal.”
- People taking anti-depressants should be allowed to carry a gun because it corrects their mental imbalance.
- Government hand outs are a good thing. They help people.
- Everyone should have free health care.
- The 3.5 trillion dollar bill is a good thing. Why are people fighting it?
- Giving people of color breaks for employment for is a good thing because our world is racist.
- It is okay to put hiring quota’s on employers by race and gender. Example – you must hire 25% African American, 25% Asian, 25% Hispanic etc.
- Abortion is okay because you don’t know the child because it hasn’t been born.
- I am not worried about the countries debt because it really doesn’t affect me.
- Global warming is new. It is all man caused and has never happened until mankind created this mess.
- Gun control is good because people with guns do bad things.
These are just a few examples.
For us old farts it is easy to place our opinion on most of these and we will all have our opinions as I have mine. These questions / statements are placed here to make you understand how the younger generation is thinking. Once you understand their thought process you will have a better idea on why our country is changing.
I think there needs to be big changes in our country. We need changes in the way we raise children and how we educate them. It is clear that some of the opportunities we are facing in our country is due to complacency. In one word I think our younger generation is taking everything for granted.
With that said – I am just an old fart with my own opinions. Those that know me will probably guess how I responded to these questions. Some of you may have answers that align with mine and maybe they are more aligned with the younger generation. Who knows – but I do know that you must be careful because anything you say on the Internet can and will be held against you. Think about it.